Happiness

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Aisha



People made fun of me after I announced on FB that "Kites" was not as bad as it was being publicized. After watching all sorts of nonsensical movies over the past few years, I feel that I am one of those patient watchers of movies. After Aisha, I give full credit to the Aisha team for making me rethink about my stand on my movie watching ability.

We had our last mid-term exam in the afternoon and everybody were really excited to go to the city and have some fun. The plan was to watch "Once upon a time Mumbai" till we reached the box office of PVR Cinemas. After a little argument about the movie, we finally settled for "Aisha" and I was one of the few who were advocating for Aisha. We had a little shopping session in between as the movie was supposed to start an hour later.

The movie started with a high class wedding, of Sonam's aunt. There was luxury every where from cars like Beetle, Mercedes in every scene to costumes which were of a different level altogether. Scene after scene started rolling but the story never seemed to have started. I remember telling my friends to be a little patient when they were losing hope on the movie. I tried to watch the movie as positively as I can, forcing myself to laugh for all the Jokes which seemed a thousand years old. The few scenes in a movie where the audience would relate to themselves would be the ones which would glue them to their seats and wait for the rest of the movie. As this movie, which was supposed to attract the youth junta, had none of the elements to relate to, we were almost feeling drained by intermission.

There were a few friends who were questioning "How could Abhay Deol do this?", "Are we allowed move into the other movie for the second half" and few were busy compensating for the movie by eating. During the second half we decided to have some comedy on our own by clapping, shouting, etc. Though there were scenes, where Sonam mistakenly expresses her feelings at a wrong place, only to add the comic element, I don't think few of us even cared to follow what was going on after 90 minutes of a never intriguing story.

Anybody who had watched a few Bollywood movies would easily guess the climax of this movie in the first half, so the climax was even more tiring. Finally there was a moral told that "Love cannot be planned", and I leave the depth of this moral to your imagination. The movie ended with a song and luckily for us the doors were opened even before the song was completed. The only discussion then was about why did we choose Aisha over Once upon a time in Mumbai.

I remember that TOI rated this movie 4/5 and the first thing I did after coming back was to confirm what I remember is correct. To my surprise it is given FOUR stars. I understood that the rating was given for the costumes as the following line summarizes the same, "First and foremost, the movie dazzles you with the style quotient". I googled the purpose of a film review and found that "A film review is going to tell you who might like a movie and who should definitely stay away" and wondered how TOI missed it.


I found lines like "Join the fun", "Join the Confusion", "Join the madness" on a few posters of the movie, and now I wonder whether that there is hardly any of those in the movie except the last one, which we unfortunately did. There was another poster which said "Loreal Paris proudly presents the Aisha collection". That could be one of the best objectives of the movie, as it did not seem to have any other.

After coming back to the campus, I found out that people who watched "Once upon a time in Mumbai" were also in a situation not so different from ours. There were a few people who watched both the movies, one after another. I was surprised and asked them why did they plan for a second movie immediately, they said that after the disappointment in the first movie, they desperately wanted to watch a good movie and they chose Aisha. Luckily we had the Insti party the same night, a much needed one for all those poor souls, who in search of enjoyment ended up having a horrible evening.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment: